Sunday, August 17, 2008

it is well...

So.
This morning we sang a great old hymn - "It Is Well With My Soul".
Chris and I have wonderful memories of being on our Spring Break choir tour in CA and hearing our men's group sing this song. Goosebumps every time they sang it.
It seems lately that I can't sing this song without crying.
"My sin - not in part, but the whole - is nailed to the cross and I bear it NO MORE!"
But today.
I sang.
And I really "got" the last verse:
"Lord, haste the day, when my faith shall be sight! The sky be rolled back as a scroll. The trump shall resound and the LORD shall descend. Even so, it is well with my soul."
I confess, I never pondered the theology of that verse.
But now... wow.
That sky IS going to be rolled back like a scroll.
And the LORD - the Creator of the universe - is going to appear! The Judge.
And yet - I KNOW that it is well with my soul.
That may seem so "duh, Tami!" to some of you. It did to Chris.
But,
I have a confidence and a hope. I do not need to fear that day.
It is well with my soul.

1 comment:

Linda said...

That is one of my favorite songs too. It was sung at our oldest son's funeral, and I will always cry when I hear it, but it is also filled with so much hope. The verse I like the very most is the third - "My sin, O the bliss of this glorious thought, My sin not in part but the whole, is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more. Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Oh my soul!"

I wanted to tell you how beautiful your `righteousness' prints are. I'm waiting till the bills have been paid this month, but I do plan to order one.