This morning Anna tripped over Austin's big ol' feet and bonked her head and bit her lip. I rushed to her and scooped her up; hoping to offer her comfort and clean up a bloody lip.
She let me. For a minute.
Then she pushed me away. Joy was here and she reached for her. That was ok, but she was still whiney about the lip. I sooooo badly wanted her to let me comfort her. I reached for her and she came back, only to reach back for Joy when I tried to comfort her.
Why won't she let me comfort her when the hurt is big? She is my daughter. I am her mother.
I was just sitting on the floor with the kids - listening to SCC's "This Moment" and the song "Children of God" came on. It's a great song! The words that struck a chord in my heart:
Who are the ones who bear His name?
Who are the children He has claimed as His?
We are, we are, we are.
The ones God has sent His Son to rescue
And now He calls us His own
We are the children of God
We are the children of God
We are the sons and the daughters
Almighty God is our Father
Then I thought:
How often do I hurt - really hurt - and run to someone or something else for comfort? The Father is there, just waiting to comfort me and sometimes I reach my arms out for something else. Maybe because I am scared of letting him comfort me or maybe because I just don't realize that He longs to be there for me.
Again - another glimpse of the heart of God that He has given me through being a mom. What a blessing.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment